Bihar Public Service Commission preliminary exam has only one paper of General Studies. This exam is based on objective type questions (Multiple Choice). There are 4 questions and candidate will have to chose only one correct answer. In case a candidate feels that one or more answers are correct then he/ she should opt for the best answer. The exam requires hard labour, dedication and high concentration of mind. This is the second exam of BPSC combined services which would be conducted under the present regime of National Democratic Alliance under the chief minister Nitish Kumar. The overall study content for this exam is very exhaustive but while preparing candidates must keep in mind that the aim of this exam is to check the overall suitability of the candidate to become part of the prestigious Bihar Public Service Commission and expert level questions are rarely asked in the exam. The topics from which questions are asked are following:
1. Bihar State- Geography, Politics, District Administration, Economy, Budget, Development Rate. Achievement of Present Government, Rivers, Welfare Programmes, History (Emphasize on British, Shershah, Maurya, Gupta, Sena and Pala regimes, Excavations and Archeological sites in Bihar)
2. India- Economics, Geography, Constitution, Ancient History, Modern History, Medieval History, Current Affairs, Economics of India, Budget of India, Foreign Relations, Development Plans, Geography, Recent Inventions, Award Winners.
3. Science: General Science of class 7th, 8th , 9th, 10th.
4. Mathematics: Numerical of class 8th, 9th and 10th level, Probability, Trigonometry and Calculus.
5. Great Personalities of Bihar: India and World.Candidates must not lose heart after reading the overall topics of syllabus and keep in mind that majority of the questions are asked from topic 1 and topic 2.
6. Sports: Commonwealth Games, Asiad Games, Players From Bihar in Commonwealth Games, India’s Performance, Recent Cricket Results, Hockey, Tennis, Boxing, Kabaddi etc.
7. Entertainment and Culture: National Film Awards, Sahitya Academy Awards, Gyanpith Awards, National Awards (Padma Shree, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, Bharat Ratna)
8. International Organizations: UNO, WTO, SAARC, ASEAN, NAFTA and all others which were in news.